7 Key Points about Idaho Core Standards
- Idaho chose to adopt the K–12 Idaho Core Standards to help ensure that all students graduate from high school with the core academic knowledge and skills necessary for success in college, careers and life. The Idaho Core Standards were adopted by the Idaho State Board of Education in 2010 and approved by the Idaho Legislature in 2011.
- The Idaho Core Standards are more rigorous than previous standards.
- With these standards, parents and policymakers will be able to compare the results of Idaho high schools with any other high school in a state that has adopted these same standards.
- Students will read more challenging texts in every class so they are prepared to read, analyze, and write in every subject area or any career field.
- Students will work more deeply in mathematics at each grade level and cover fewer topics to make sure students master the concepts they need before moving on to the next grade level.
- Students will learn critical thinking and problem-solving skills as they must apply what they learn in the classroom to real-world situations.
- These standards will help Idaho schools build a better, stronger academic foundation to prepare students for college, careers and life in the 21st Century.
Idaho Business for Education