What are Idaho Core Standards?
Academic Standards are benchmarks of what students should know and learn at each grade level. Until recently, every state had different standards, so a student reading on-grade-level in one state might be below-grade-level in the next state. In 2010, 46 states (including Idaho) came together to create and share a new set of standards, based on the best from around the country, to prepare all children for success.
Why does it matter?
Recent data from the SAT show that only 25% of Idaho high school students who take the test are ready for post-secondary education.(1) But by 2020, more than 60% of Idaho jobs will require some form of post-secondary education. The Idaho Core Standards set higher, clearer and simpler goals – higher standards so your children can be ready for success.
What are the changes?
The Idaho Core Standards focus on the skills that will help our students become life-long learners. They require students and teachers to analyze more, discuss more, evaluate more, justify more and explain their thinking and understanding deeply, especially in writing.
The standards also emphasize learning across disciplines (reading with math and social studies standards combined into one task). Students spend more time working together with different settings, structures and tools.
How can parents help?
• Encourage questions and explore answers (especially questions whose answers are not yes or no).
• Explain and discuss issues or problems in your house, neighborhood, and community. Brainstorm solutions.
• Compare how things are alike and different – videos, movies, food.
• Give reasons – you to them and them to you.
• Look for patterns.
• Describe and categorize stuff.
• Tell your children what you value and why.
• Encourage and celebrate opinions.
Resources for Parents and Guardians
Parent Resource for Core Standards – Kindergarten
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 1st Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 2nd Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 3rd Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 4th Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 5th Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 6th Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 7th Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – 8th Grade
Parent Resource for Core Standards – High School English
Parent Resource for Core Standards – High School Math
1. Idaho Education News: http://www.idahoednews.org/news/stagnant-u-s-sat-scores-outpace-idaho/